The Place To Be - The Fordyce Bath House
"The Fordyce on the south side of the formal entrance had a reputation as the most complete and luxurious bathhouse and as an impressive monument to the recovery of health of the owner, Colonel Samuel Fordyce, who believed the waters restored his health. Designed by Mann and Stern and built in 1914-15, it, along with the Maurice, attracted wealthier clientele. Constructed of two tones of brick in a lozenge pattern, the Fordyce features terra cotta window surrounds and balconies displaying hundreds of classical ornaments. The latter material went into surrounds of cherub fountains in the lobby, otherwise cased in marble, and into the life-sized statue of de Soto and an Indian maiden fountain in the mens bath hall. Above that fountain but below the skylight in the interior courtyard is the mythical Neptune and ladies in a sea of stained glass. The bronze and glass, chain-suspended marquis had a blue glass top so as to present a blue sky whether it was rainy or sunny. Like many of its neighbors, it has a red tile roof over part of a skylight. The gymnasium has a full hip roof."
Taken 2:13 PM on July 7, 2018
Uploaded 11:44 AM on July 18, 2018
- Posted in Landmarks
- NIKON D750
- 1/500 sec.
- 24 mm
- 250 ISO
- Hot Springs, AR
Keyboard shortcuts: D Dig it L Love ← Previous → Next S Skip it A Toggle auto flow F Focus